Sunday 7 September 2014

Keto Questions

Oh that was a horrible long 16km run this morning - with a great deal of walking being done; mostly on the up hills, and even the inclines, of which there seemed to be quite a few. A long slow run, at around 8.30/km - how can you run that slowly?! Trying to keep my cadence at 180 and practice my chi running, just seems to push me forward with the end result that my HR shoots up to way above long slow run level and I end up having to walk. And my legs? Buggered! From the word go! They were alright on the downhills and down clines (?!) but anything else and they were just lead weights :-( 

So, this Keto diet thing, can I make it work for me? I love the idea, and the science, behind it, but right now I need to make some changes and find some help and answers. 

I know I am Keto adapted, the little test strips tell me so, although I don't count my carbs. I do check everything that I put in my body, carb-wise, and I eat natural, home-cooked food the vast majority of the time. I'm now wondering about my electrolytes. Can you buy over the counter test strips for potassium and magnesium? Maybe I'm not getting enough sodium, although I do eat bacon just about every day (yum!)? 

This morning I felt a bit light headed a number of times, and at one point, if I'd had some puréed apple and banana with me (organic baby food in a pouch) I'd have troughed it down - which is why I deliberately didn't put one in my water belt pocket! So, I just walked slowly up the very steep hill and thought about how beautiful the morning was :-) 

Perhaps yesterday's food wasn't sufficiently suitable; a smoothie with Greek yoghurt, coconut cream, almond milk and cocoa (before, during and after a 2 hour 40 min gym session which included 50 mins of step cardio), 2 coconut flour pancakes with marmalade butter sauce (mmmmmm!), a small, thin-crust quiche from Bakers Delight, and homemade chicken curry with lots of cream and cauliflower rice. Oh, and some cheese and a glass and a half of red wine - well, it was Saturday night!

So, off to do some more reading - I will not be beaten! 

No comments:

Post a Comment